The Best Beef Bourguignon
Is it just us or has it felt a little more like Autumn the last few days? Our favourite part of Autumn approaching is whipping up some good old fashioned comfort food, here is our favourite Beef Bourguignon recipe for you to try, we obviously use the Tower Foundry Cast Iron Casserole Dish Red when making this.
- 1.6kg braising steak, cut into large chunks
- 3 bay leaves
- small bunch thyme
- 2 bottles red wine
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 large or 6 normal carrots, cut into large chunks
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- Tip braising steak, cut into large chunks, into a bowl with 3 bay leaves, a small bunch of thyme, 2 bottles of red wine and some pepper, then cover and leave to marinate ( the longer the better!)
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Strain the marinated meat, keeping the wine.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan, then brown the meat in batches, transferring to a plate once browned.
- When meat is browned, pour a little wine into the now-empty frying pan and bubble to release any caramelised bits from the pan.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large casserole and fry 3 large or 6 normal carrots, cut into large chunks, and 2 roughly chopped onions until they start to colour. Stir in 3 tbsp plain flour for 1 min, then add 1 tbsp tomato purée.
- Add the beef and any juices, the wine from the frying pan and the rest of the wine and herbs. Season and bring to a simmer. Give everything a good stir, then cover.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 2 hrs until the meat is really tender. Cool